John J. Flood   Bio & Jim McGough (Biography)
6304 N Francisco Av
Chicago. Il 60659



Harry Aleman
Legacy of a Vicious, Reputed Mob Hitman

Harry Aleman (A' - le - man)
Birthdate: Jan. 19, 1939
735 Forest Glenn Lake, Oak Brook, IL

Nephew of the late mobster Joseph Ferriola.
Attended Harrison High school in Chicago.
Employed at Accurate Coring Company, 825 Seegers Rd., Des Plaines, in 1989, following release on parole. The company is owned by Aleman's son-in-law, Ted Strong.

Aleman is known as one of the mob's most effective hitmen. A brutal and vicious killer, Aleman built his reputation in the early 1970s when he and two mob colleagues, William Petrocelli and Gerald Scarpelli, launched a campaign to muscle independent mob bookmakers and force them to pay a street tax to the Chicago Outfit. Bookmakers who refused to participate and pay a street tax to the Outfit were murdered by Aleman and his crew. (Scarpelli committed suicide in 1989. Petrocelli was killed by unknown assailants, allegedly on orders of Ferriola. Petrocelli's crime was that after his former partner Aleman was sentenced to jail, he had embezzled $100,000 in mob monies that was intended for Aleman. Petrocelli was burned and stabbed to death in 1981.

1989: Judge Ann C. Williams
1989 Defense Counsel: Allan Ackerman, 2000 N. Clifton, Chicago. 312-332-2891
1989 US Attorney: Jeffrey M. Johnson, 312-353-5300

Convicted of racketeering by Judge Roszkowski in 1978 and sentenced to 30 years imprisonment. He was released on parole on April 28, 1989.

Pleaded guilty on Oct. 23, 1991 on charges of extorting money from two bookmakers, including one that he was accused of murdering on Oct. 31, 1975 of Anthony Reitinger. Reitinger and Vince Rizza acted as bookies for Aleman, who reported to Angelo LaPietra. He refused to testify against his mob boss, Ernest Rocco Infelise, however. Aleman was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment, although he is expected to only serve 7 or 8 years.

Justice Department officials attribute five mob hits to Aleman, and suspect him of involvement in at least 15 others.

He was charged and later acquitted in 1977 before Judge Frank Wilson on charges of murdering Teamster union steward William P. Logan on Sept. 27, 1972. Aleman assigned an underling to track Logan for two weeks to establish his routine before completing the contracted hit.

FBI Mole Robert Cooley, a corrupt attorney who turned government informant, was ordered to pay Judge Wilson $10,000 to acquit Aleman in the case, by Pat Marcy, Chicago 1st Ward Secretary and mob political liaison to the Cook County Court System, and John D'Arco Sr., 1st Ward Committeeman. (Both are now deceased.) Aleman had been indicted for the murder of the warehouse laborer in 1976. Cooley made a $2,500 downpayment to Judge Wilson just before the murder trial began, and paid Judge Wilson the balance of $7,500 when he returned a not guilty verdict in a bench trial. (Cooley was paid $3,000 by Marcy to arrange the "fix.") Wilson quit the bench shortly after the trial and retired to Arizona.

When Judge Wilson learned that his role had been exposed in Operation GamBat, and that Cooley was a federal mole, Wilson committed suicide while at his Arizona home. Although two witnesses, including his former driver, testified they saw Aleman kill Logan, Judge Wilson said he questioned the accuracy of one witness because he had failed to pay some furniture bills, and challenged his driver's testimony saying he could not believe the testimony of a career criminal.

Aleman knew before the trial began that he would be acquitted by Wilson and sat through the proceedings with a noticable and frequently noted by the media grin.

Aleman was reindicted in 1993 for the Logan slaying, based on Cooley's testimony. He was re-tried beginning in Sept. 1997 on the Logan murder.

Send E-Mail to the Webmaster E-Mail program

Back to Top

IPSN  1997-2006 All Rights reserved. Not for republication on the internet without permission.